Tuesday, May 5, 2009

On the Economy and Putting Sports in their Place

This weekend was the hundred-millionth* running of the Kentucky Derby... and the record 28th-straight year I haven't watched. I, first and foremost, have a problem even calling horse-racing a sport, since it is the horses who are doing all the work... and I refuse to acknowledge a different species as 'athletes'. Secondly, and most importantly, I have a problem with any spectacle surrounding a sporting event which is more in the spotlight than the actual event. The Derby has always been about the stupid hats, the ugly/expensive clothing, and mint juleps.
Outfits worn by people who obviously lost a bet
It's hard for me to take a 'sport' seriously when it seems that what is the most interesting is happening outside the lines. But what I have the biggest problem with about the Derby NOW is that the spectacle seems to have no economic perspective.

I fully understand that sports are a respite from reality, much like movies or gaming, and have a bit of leeway in economic status. But I would like my sports to start understanding their place in the economy... that they are NOT a true reflection of what is important... and that they're, basically, a hobby. And I don't think I'm alone in this thinking. This is why we've seen such a backlash against Matthew Stafford's deal with the Lions (reportedly six-year, $78 million contract, with $41.7 million in guarantees). Particularly in a state like Michigan, with the top four cities in terms of unemployment in the country, giving this kind of money to someone who hasn't even played yet seems ludicrous. I've heard the arguments about the free market and players getting whatever they can get... but I would like the owners of teams, and the people in charge of leagues, to start recognizing when the money involved is getting excessive. Common wisdom says that the only way to get owners to recognize your displeasure is to 'boycott,' and I'm not going to go to any games this year, but--truth be told--it's more because I can't afford to and not because I'm trying to send a message. Perhaps the message is that the common fan can no longer afford to go to games. Time to get some perspective, sports... and not flaunt luxuries in our face.

*Some facts included herein may not have been checked

No comments: